[libvirt] Silently ignored virDomainRestore failures

Charles Duffy charles at dyfis.net
Tue Sep 29 02:03:37 UTC 2009

Charles Duffy wrote:
> What I'm tempted to do is add a command which sends a sigil to stderr to
> the end of the exec: migration lines specified by libvirt, and wait for
> either that sigil or an error to show up in the log for that domain
> before issuing the cont; if my memory is at all correct, libvirt should
> have some helper functions useful for that purpose already available.

Ugh, bad idea -- I was thinking only of the migrate-from-file case, and
not of migration from any alternate source; any non-exec source doesn't
allow for this hack.

Anthony suggested dropping -S from the command line on incoming
migrations, and using "info status" to poll for when the guest resumes
itself; however, this doesn't work for cases when the VM was saved or
migrated in a paused state and the end-user expectation is for it to
remain paused.

I'm tempted to add additional output to "info migrate" indicating
whether an inbound migration is ongoing; however, this wouldn't help
versions of qemu without the patch applied.