[libvirt] Libvirtd on Non Linux?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Sep 29 13:39:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 05:50:34AM -0600, Yushu Yao wrote:
> Hi Experts,
>
> Just wondering is it possible now to run libvirt deamon on non-linux
> platforms (mainly windows and mac)? If yes, are there instructions on how to
> build it. If no, what was the roadblock?
>
> I'm trying to find a tool that can control the VMM for desktop/laptop users
> under win/mac/linux. Mainly for automation of deployment of some appliances.
> The best tool I've heard is libvirt, but couldn't find any doc on using it
> for other platforms.

You could probably make libvirtd / QEMU work on Mac OS-X, since its is
just BSD underneath and thus close enough to POSIX.  It wouldn't magically
give you control of the native Mac virtualizaation software - that would
requirea  new driver.

Windows is a much harder task due to the crazy platform API it has, that
looks nothing like POSIX. The lack of fork/exec is a huge problem that
even gnulib can't magically solve for us. I'm not saying it is impossible,
but it will involve alot of work