Re: [libvirt] GNU awk vs BSD awk?

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 03:08:28PM +1100, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> One of the OSX Homebrew guys, CC'd, has asked (casually)
> whether our dependency on GNU awk is very deeply ingrained,
> or if we could be convinced to allow usage of other make's
> instead (ie BSD).
>
> Figured I'd ask you directly, as you'd probably best know
> whether it's an easy thing to address or not?

What problems are hit with BSD awk ? If it is a minor change
then I'm not against it, but in general I think we should
only focus on building with the GNU toolchain, since that
is easily made available on any platform we support. Even
if they already have similar tools (awk/make/etc), the GNU
stuff can sit alongside native versions & typically offers
far more functionality.

Regards,