Re: [libvirt] RFC: Setting a permanent MAC address for virtual network bridges

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 01:46:40AM -0500, Laine Stump wrote:
2) When a bridge's MAC address is set in that way, as Daniel says,
no traffic passes. (Why is that, anyway?)
A bridge device *must* have a MAC address that machines one of
its enslaved devices. It can't have its own MAC address. The
bridge will automatically obtain the MAC of the first interface
enslaved normally.

Yeah, I understand that *is* the case. I'm just curious what the logic behind that is. It's certainly not the case for an actual hardware bridge...