[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: [libvirt] [PATCH 13/13] Run radvd for virtual networks with IPv6 addresses



On 12/20/2010 05:46 PM, Paweł Krześniak wrote:
On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 09:03, Laine Stump<laine laine org>  wrote:
There are two possible solutions for this:

1) Don't attempt to immediately read the pidfile and store the pid in
   memory. Instead, just read the pidfile later when we want to kill
   radvd. (This could still lead to a race if networkStart and
   networkDestroy were called in tight sequence by some application)
In such tight sequence you can detect that radvd has been just
started, because radvd truncates pidfile before daemon(). In such
situation you can wait for pid awhile (e.g. separate thread could use
inotify for this)

It works out reasonably well to manually daemonize radvd, and create the pidfile ourselves, so that's the way I'm doing it.

Some general questions:
- radvd is optional for ipv6 network. How one can configure to not to
spawn radvd daemon

We decided back when we were discussing this feature that we wanted radvd to always be run. The logic is that we want the virtual networks to cover the needs of 95% of installations, and be as simple as possible for all of those. The other 5% will need to setup their bridge manually. (Keep in mind that even when radvd is running, it's totally acceptable for a guest to ignore it and manually configure their interfaces, so even most people who don't want/need radvd can live with its presence).

Here's the original discussion thread:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2010-November/msg00146.html

- did you thought about running only one instance of radvd and sending
SIGHUP to daemon after adding/removing interfaces to conffile

Yes, we talked about that as well, and decided that we wanted libvirt's use of radvd to be as segregated from the rest of the system's use as possible - less potential for a problem in one place to leak over into another, and no headaches trying to cleanly/atomically edit the config file.


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]