[libvirt] RFC: Create a separate libvirt users mailing list ?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jan 8 14:56:39 UTC 2010

Hi Folks,

We've been brainstorming ways to improve/broaden the libvirt community
and one (of many) ideas is to create a separate libvirt users mailing
list. The rationale is that this list is 95% patch submission from
developers, often very high traffic and thus it may not be appealing for
ordinary users to subscribe just to ask a question about libvirt usage.

Although there is the virt-tools mailing list, that is really focused
on the virt-manager family of apps, not a general purpose libvirt users
community.

Thus we're considering creating a new list

  libvirt-users at redhat.com

To serve as a home for discussions relating to

 - Administrators/users  of libvirt / libvirtd / virsh
 - Developers building applications on top of libvirt
 - Anyone else wishing to ask/talk about libvirt architecture /
   concepts / etc in real world deployment

While the current list

    libvir-list at redhat.com

To serve as continued home for most current traffic, specifically

 - Development of libvirt itself (libvirtd, hypervisor drivers, etc)
 - Development of libvirt language bindings (perl, python, java, etc)
 - Patch submission for libvirt & language bindings

Essentially all libvirt code patches would be on libvir-list, while
libvirt-users would be for app developer / end user admin discussions.
For this to work of course, a significant number developers of libvirt
currently on this list would also have to join libvirt-users, so we have
people on the new list who are able to answer questions :-)

Before we create a new list we'd like to hear from people on this list as
to wether they think this would be beneficial. In particular we'd like your
opinion if you are someone who's likely to switch to be exclusively on
the libvirt-users list.