[libvirt] Break up virsh man page into smaller sections?

Justin Clift justin at salasaga.org
Fri Jun 4 03:42:08 UTC 2010

On 06/04/2010 10:29 AM, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>    Honnestly, git does it that way and I hate that. The advantage of man
> is that it's text and you can search for verbs or descriptions which may
> correspond to the actions you're trying to accomplish. If you split it
> in a zillion man pages it's a zillion different files that you need to
> search on. It's far less convenient from my point of view. And really I
> don't see a big advantage, plus you need to duplicate lot of boilerplate
> on each sub man page section. If man was an hypertext tool with
> automatic reference access and unified search, this may be a bit nicer
> but splitting in many files is not convenient with the tool as designed
> in my opinion,

Interesting.  I hadn't considered the search aspect of things would
break, which I would find to be a PITA too. :)

Guess I'll just look at adding some of the missing commands and options
to the existing (single) virsh man page, as I have time (when/if) around
other things.

>    Now what we really lack is the API man pages, libvirt.3 which should
> be autogenerated from the libvirt-api.xml but that will lead to an even
> more giantic man page, maybe splitting here would somehow make sense but
> those call should be grouped by themes.

Sounds like a worthwhile thing too.  My personal interest is in making
things more day to day practical/usable from a SysAdmin point of view,
so I'll personally probably stick with the user level docs atm though.
They still need a lot of work. ;)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--