[libvirt] libvirt/dnsmasq integration.

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Mar 1 13:22:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 04:37:04PM +0000, Simon Kelley wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 02:34:53PM +0000, Simon Kelley wrote:
> > [...]
> >> Does that make sense? It's a long and involved explanation to come to
> >> cold. I fear I may have over-simplified what libvirt is doing with
> >> dnsmasq, in which case please enlighten me and I'll modify my scheme to
> >> take that into account. If this looks good I can easily have the
> >> necessary dnsmasq changes in the next release.
> >
> > I read through it and it makes sense to me.
> >
> > The only thing: is /etc/dnsmasq.d a true standard across all distros?
> > It is for Fedora, but an old Debian distro I use does not have this
> > directory.
>
> The ability to read config fragments from a directory has been in
> dnsmasq since version 2.32 (effectively, forever). The Debian (and by
> inheritance, Ubuntu) packages have created and automatically searched
> /etc/dnsmasq.d since 2.46, released in November 2008. That's not quite
> old enough to be in the current Debian stable, which has 2.45.
>
> All this is slighly moot, since this scheme needs changes to dnsmasq.
> Those can easily go into the next release.
>

> > Is '/etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart' a reliable way to restart the system
> > dnsmasq across all distros?  (Perhaps 'service dnsmasq restart' is
> > better?).
>
> Almost certainly. Could this be a hook supplied by the distro packaging?

I'm not sure that the 'service' command is standardized on all distros
either, is it ?

Does dnsmasq need a full restart, or is a SIGHUP sufficient ?

If the latter, then we could avoid the initscript entirely, by reading
dnsmasq's pid file, using kill(0, $PID) and check for -ERSCH to see if it
is running or not.  Then finally SIGHUP it to reload

|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org        -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|