[libvirt] libvirt modifying iptables rules

Hi

I am right now undertaking a project which deals with verification of firewall rules. I wish to know which applications/libraries modify/query firewall rules. I came to know that libvirt modifies iptables rules. Can anyone let me know for what purposes/how libvirt modifies the rules?

Thanks & Regards
Varrun Ramani