[libvirt] [virt-tools-list] unable to connect to a ESX via ssh

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 12 21:12:37 UTC 2010

2010/3/9 Guido Günther <agx at sigxcpu.org>:
> Hi Matthias,
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 08:28:07PM +0100, Matthias Bolte wrote:
>> 2010/3/8 Dimitris Kalogeras <D.Kalogeras at noc.ntua.gr>:
>> > Hi *,
>> >
>> > Apologies for cross posting.
>> > I have installed the the libvirt and virt-toolss in an ubuntu karmic
>> > 9.10. I am trying to access-manage an ESX 3.5i via ssh protocol.
>> > Although I have configured and verified that ssh access operates
>> > correctly  with  keys, when I try to access the ESX via virt-manager,
>> > it  doesn't  work.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Dimitris
>> >

>> You're the second one that asks this question in the last few days.
>> Maybe I should take this as an indication that I need to improve the
>> ESX driver documentation.
> We don't have the ESX driver enabled in Debian at the moment:
>
> configure:      Xen: yes
> configure:    Proxy: no
> configure:     QEMU: yes
> configure:      UML: yes
> configure:   OpenVZ: yes
> configure:     VBox: yes
> configure:      LXC: yes
> configure:     PHYP: no
> configure:      ONE: no
> configure:      ESX: no
> configure:     Test: yes
> configure:   Remote: yes
> configure:  Network: yes
> configure: Libvirtd: yes
> configure:    netcf: no
> configure:  macvtap: no
>
> Since Ubuntu basically uses the Debian packges they don't have this
> enabled either. The current diff against Debian is at:
>
> http://patches.ubuntu.com/libv/libvirt/libvirt_0.7.5-5ubuntu12.patch
>
> which  hasn't any ./configure changes except for apparmor support so I
> doubt this can work at all on Ubuntu.
>
> Dimitris, you should file an Ubuntu Bug. Matthias, I'd be more than
> happy to enable ESX support in Debian but I don't have any means of
> testing it.
> Cheers,
>  -- Guido

Ah, I see.

You could use the 60 days evaluation version of ESXi 4.0 for testing.
A small hurdle is that you need supported hardware, at leasts a
supported NIC.

Once in a while, when I can't use my ESX servers in the university's
cluster, I use an ESXi installed on an USB flash drive with my
notebook that has a supported Intel NIC. Storage is provided via NFS
then.

Matthias