[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: [libvirt] [PATCH] esx: Allow 'lsisas1068' as SCSI controller type



2010/3/17 Matthias Bolte <matthias bolte googlemail com>:
> 2010/3/15 Daniel P. Berrange <berrange redhat com>:
>> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 09:19:02PM +0100, Matthias Bolte wrote:
>>> diff --git a/tests/xml2vmxdata/xml2vmx-scsi-driver.xml b/tests/xml2vmxdata/xml2vmx-scsi-driver.xml
>>> new file mode 100644
>>> index 0000000..797a26e
>>> --- /dev/null
>>> +++ b/tests/xml2vmxdata/xml2vmx-scsi-driver.xml
>>> @@ -0,0 +1,25 @@
>>> +<domain type='vmware'>
>>> +  <name>scsi-buslogic</name>
>>> +  <uuid>564d9bef-acd9-b4e0-c8f0-aea8b9103515</uuid>
>>> +  <memory>4096</memory>
>>> +  <os>
>>> +    <type>hvm</type>
>>> +  </os>
>>> +  <devices>
>>> +    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
>>> +      <driver name='buslogic'/>
>>> +      <source file='[datastore] directory/harddisk1.vmdk'/>
>>> +      <target dev='sda' bus='scsi'/>
>>> +    </disk>
>>> +    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
>>> +      <driver name='lsilogic'/>
>>> +      <source file='[datastore] directory/harddisk2.vmdk'/>
>>> +      <target dev='sdp' bus='scsi'/>
>>> +    </disk>
>>> +    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
>>> +      <driver name='lsisas1068'/>
>>> +      <source file='[datastore] directory/harddisk3.vmdk'/>
>>> +      <target dev='sdae' bus='scsi'/>
>>> +    </disk>
>>> +  </devices>
>>> +</domain>
>>
>> Using the '<driver>' element here is somewhat incorrect, since this
>> is in fact used to refer to the backend driver. The 'name' attribute
>> refered to the host backend driver (only really used for xen to
>> switch between kernel & userspace backends), while the 'type' refered
>> to the file format (vmdk, qcow, etc).
>>
>> In the vmware context lsilogic/buslogic is refering to the guest
>> device type.
>>
>> What is visible in the guest when you have 3 disks configured in this
>> way with buslogic, lsilogic & lsisas1068 ?  Do you get 3 separate PCI
>> devices as the SCSI controllers & then 1 disk attached to each ? If
>> so, then we could model this difference using the recent <controller>
>> element instead.
>>
>> If there's only one PCI device / SCSI controller & different types of
>> disk attached to that controller, then we'd need to invent a new way
>> within <disk> of doing the model name
>>
>> Daniel
>>
>
> Yes, it's the SCSI controller device type. <driver name='buslogic'/>
> currently maps to
>
>  scsi0.virtualDev = "buslogic"
>
> and scsi0 is the first SCSI controller.
>
> So I withdraw this patch and rework the controller type handling to
> use the <controller> element.
>
> There seems to be no documentation about the <controller> element on
> the libvirt website, or do I miss something?
>
> Matthias
>

As I already said your argument is valid, but I would like to push
this patch to get the problem with ESX4 and lsisas1068 [1] "fixed" for
the 0.7.8 release, because the reworked controller handling won't be
finished until 0.7.8.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvirt-users/2010-March/msg00016.html

Matthias


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]