[libvirt] patch submission: git send-email, format-patch or git diff

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Mon May 3 15:31:55 UTC 2010

On 05/03/2010 11:13 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 05/03/2010 08:26 AM, Laine Stump wrote:
>
>> I recently learned that git send-email will send directly from the git
>> history, without the bother of using git format-patch to create
>> intermediate files. For example:
>>
>>      git send-email -1
>>
>> will send an email containing the latest commit on the current branch.
>>
>>      git send-email --compose -5
>>
> Another useful command line:
>
> git send-email -5 --in-reply-to=... \
>   --annotate --compose --subject-prefix=PATCHv2
>
> which lets me send a 5-patch series as a v2 reply to an earlier email,
> with a cover letter, and allowing me to add comments to each individual
> patch to document what changed from v1.  The only thing that makes this
> hard is that thunderbird 2.x used to have the mnenhy plugin to make it
> very easy to get the Message-ID of any given message, but that plugin
> has not been ported to thunderbird 3.0 so I have to view the source of a
> message and manually find the MessageID.

I just select View/Headers/All, then right click on the "1" next to  the
"message-id" line, and select "Copy". (I wish I could select that, and a
couple other extra headers, to be displayed when "Normal" headers are
selected. With all the time I spend using Thunderbird every day, you'd
think I'd take the time to figure out where/how to make feature requests
:-P)