[libvirt] libvirt with qemu-kvm, not recognizing NIC model

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Wed May 5 15:34:26 UTC 2010

On 05/04/2010 12:46 PM, Jonathan Hoover wrote:
> Is this the right list for this question, or should I be elsewhere?
>

> I am trying to specify a network card “model type” of “pcnet” (to
> emulate vmware esxi’s network card). No matter what I put for model type
> in my xml config file, it comes up as an Intel e1000. I ran “qemu-kvm
> –net nic,model=? /dev/null” and I got back a list of supported models
> including pcnet,e1000,virtio, and others as expected. No matter which I
> put in my xml file for /etc/libvirt/qemu/Symantec-bg.xml (a Symantec
> Brightmail Gateway virtual machine), I just get back that its an Intel
> card on boot (which doesn’t work with Symantec BG).

Hm, this works just fine for me; I'm able to choose any of the above
when I create a guest.  However, you don't want to edit the /etc/libvirt
file directly.  Libvirt only reads that at startup and reload; during
runtime it isn't re-read.  To make the edit, you'll want to either
use virt-manager or "virsh edit <guest>".

If that doesn't work, post your entire XML file.

--
Chris Lalancette