[libvirt] A few small libvirt build issues

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed May 19 21:57:09 UTC 2010

On 05/19/2010 03:29 PM, Cole Robinson wrote:
> I've hit a few small build issues that I don't know how to fix.
>
> daemon/libvirtd.init isn't regenerated if ./configure is re-run. If I do:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/foo && make && ./configure --prefix=/bar && make
>
> daemon/libvirtd.init will reference /foo and not /bar. The logrotate
> files are affected as well.

I think this one can be solved by adding a dependency on config.status;
testing my theory now, and hopefully I will have a patch in the near future.

> Second issue involves root squash homedir which I use regularly for
> development. If I ./configure && make -j4 && sudo make install, I get
> the following error:
>
> Making install in python
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/mnt/storage.bos/boston/crobinso/sandbox/upstream/libvirt/libvirt.git/python'
> Making install in .
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/mnt/storage.bos/boston/crobinso/sandbox/upstream/libvirt/libvirt.git/python'
> make[3]: Entering directory
> `/mnt/storage.bos/boston/crobinso/sandbox/upstream/libvirt/libvirt.git/python'
> test -z "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages" || /bin/mkdir -p
> "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages"
>  /bin/sh ../libtool   --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c   libvirtmod.la
> '/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages'
> libtool: install: warning: relinking `libvirtmod.la'

Unfortunately, I don't know libtool as well as I'd like.  Here, you may
be better off asking on the bug-libtool at gnu.org list.  I do know that
GNU Coding Conventions state that 'make install' should not do any
compilation or linking if 'make all' is up-to-date, but I also know that
libtool has a documented bug of not being able to always obey that rule
on some platforms, because it must do a relink as part of installation
to get path dependencies right.  On the other hand, I seem to recall
that on Linux, where .so can be compiled with rpath information up
front, libtool can be smart enough to avoid the relink, but I don't know
the magic to make that happen.