[libvirt] OpenSource-Management of private Clouds and Virtualisation

Arno-Can Uestuensoez acue at i4p.com
Sat Nov 27 07:46:17 UTC 2010

Hello Justin,
first of all I have to apologise for answering so late, had some
difficulties
with my mail mailbox for libvirt and lost the data until the 18th. This is
from the luckily forgotton old subscription-account.

Justin Clift wrote:
> On 17/11/2010, at 4:52 PM, acue at i4p.com wrote:
>
>> I want to announce the current version of the UnifiedSessionsManager.
>> An OpenSource-Toolset providing a neatless interface for the vendor
>> independent use and administration of virtual and physical systems.
>>

> Sounds interesting.  What does "neatless" mean by the way? :)

Neatless is in the sense, that the interface is almost the same for all
supported
hypervisors. This is for example:

->ctys -t qemu -a create=l:tst100 myUser at myHost
creates a QEMU instance
->ctys -t vmw -a create=l:tst101 myUser at myHost1
creates a VMware instance, one of: Sever/Player/Workstation
->ctys -t vnc -a create=l:tst101 myUser at myHost1
creates a VNC desktop
->ctys -t x11 -a create=l:tst101 myUser at myHost1
creates a X-Terminal session

There are some more options, but the core-set is quite similar.
This has the advantage for presenting a small interface with some standard
methods and a superset of common attributes.

When now a generic option has to be applied, this is the same for all
hypervisors,
which I call here session types.

For example: The client of a session should be requested to be executed
locally,
whereas the server is performing remote:

->ctys -t qemu -a create=l:tst100 -L CF myUser at myHost
creates a QEMU instance on 'myHost', creates a SSH tunnel from localhost
to the QEMU instance, where the display ID is managed automatically, and
last starts a local VNC client which is attached to the local stub of
the SSH
tunnel.

Antyhing is done automatically, just by setting '-L CF', where CF stands for
CONNECTIONFORWARDING, in distinction to DISPLAYFORWARING, which is
similar to the X11 display forwarding.

->ctys -t vnc -a create=l:tst101 -L CF myUser at myHost1
This does basically the same, but starts and interconnects here a VNC
desktop
instead of a QEMU instance.

Same for VMW, XEN and VirtualBox, where just the consoles has to be varied,
e.g. for VirtualBox the RDP, or VBOX instead of VNC.

Thus the main emphasis for the project is still the support of an
interface, which
is almost the same - standard core - for all supported session types.
With some specific superset for each, providing enhanced features.

There are some slides on the home page which depict the interface, I tried
to describe the basic idea of service-management and composition also in a
short whitepaper.

>>   http://www.UnifiedSessionsManager.org
>>

> Just tried that, and it seem to want to bounce me to some other domain
> (hard to make out) like unifiedsessionsmanager.eu or something, which
> doesn't load.
>
> Is everything set up ok? :/

Yes, I have one domain-only for the org, and redirect this to the server
provider,
which provide their own, here e.g. unifiedsessionsmanager.eu for english,
unifiedsessionsmanager.de for german. For transparency I didn't rename the
domain name, just kept and forwarded it.