Re: [libvirt] Valid characters in domain names?

I would like to associate this discussion with a bug I've submitted to
Ubuntu's Launchpad...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libvirt/+bug/672948

Inconsistent XML config checks for domains with space in the name

1) http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsMetadata states:
"This name should consist only of alpha-numeric characters".

2) /usr/share/libvirt/schemas/domain.rng:
<element name="name">
  <ref name="domainName"/>
</element>

<define name="domainName">
    <data type="string">
      <param name="pattern">[A-Za-z0-9_\.\+\-&amp;:/]+</param>
    </data>
  </define>

3) Virsh accepts <name> with spaces, but then during a vm start some
misguiding output is generated. It says aa_change_profile() fails. Virsh
doesn't check the config with the schema as well.

libvirt-bin 0.7.5-5ubuntu27.7

--
Marcin Szewczyk                       http://wodny.org
mailto:Marcin Szewczyk wodny borg  <- remove b / usuĊ„ b