Re: [libvirt] Valid characters in domain names?

Indeed.  I'm sure we need a whitelist, not a blacklist as suggested by
the other comment.  All domains I'd ever want to create would match
the regexp

^[[:alpha:]][-_[:alnum:]]*$

This might break existing users however.

A period in a name is definitely useful. Also, I think there is no need to differentiate between the first and the other characters, except perhaps to prohibit a name starting with "-".

Paolo