[libvirt] bootstrap and pkg-config [was: OSX 10.6 build failures]

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Oct 5 12:15:13 UTC 2010

[adding bug-gnulib]

On 10/04/2010 11:16 PM, Justin Clift wrote:
>> Revisiting this, does it suffice to add pkg-config into the $buildreq
>> table of bootstrap.conf?
>
> That seems to be an improvement. Without pkg-config installed, running
> autogen.sh gives this failure:

> $ ./autogen.sh
> <snip>
> checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... build-aux/install-sh -c -d
> checking for gawk... gawk
> configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh build-aux/config.sub

You aren't kidding about that being an obtuse error message for the
actual problem.

> $
>
> With it added, we get:

> $ ./autogen.sh
> running bootstrap...
> Error: 'CONFIG-pkg-config' not found

Ouch - that smells like bootstrap has a bug in its dependency checking
code that does not properly handle - in a dependency name.  So, rather
than checking for $PKG_CONFIG and falling back on pkg-config, it is
checking for $PKG and falling back on CONFIG-pkg-config.  Easy enough to
fix in gnulib, and re-import into libvirt.

> Program Min_version
> ----------------------
> autoconf 2.59
> automake 1.9.6
> autopoint -
> gettext -
> git 1.5.5
> gzip -
> libtool -
> perl 5.5
> pkg-config -
> tar -
> ----------------------
> Failed to bootstrap gnulib, please investigate.
> $
>
> As a "clarity of error message" idea, do you reckon it's workable
> for the error message to list the status of each item?

Again a task for gnulib's bootstrap script.

> Something like:

> $ ./autogen.sh
> running bootstrap...
> Error: 'CONFIG-pkg-config' not found
>
> Program Min_version Status
> autoconf 2.59 OK - 2.61 found
> automake 1.9.6 OK - 1.10 found
> autopoint - OK
> gettext - OK
> git 1.5.5 OK - 1.73 found
> gzip - OK
> libtool - OK
> perl 5.5 OK - 5.10 found
> pkg-config - MISSING
> tar - OK
> Failed to bootstrap gnulib, please investigate.
> $
>
> It just seems like it would convey the problem (and implied solution) in
> a clearer fashion.

Indeed that would be nicer, but it's not as clear-cut as the pkg-config
mess-up.  At any rate, I'll take a shot at both issues today, even if I
end up only solving the first.