[libvirt] Improving our ChangeLog format?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Oct 14 10:09:22 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 08:55:24PM +1100, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Noticed an entry in a recent LWN.net article about PostgreSQL's
> conversion to git.
>
> One of the things mentioned sounds relevant to us :
>
>   Robert Haas has documented how to get commit summaries and sizes from
>   Git. He wrote a perl script (which Tom Lane improved) that allows you
>   to produce a changelog suitable for release notes from Git.
>

> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=blob_plain;f=src/tools/git_changelog;hb=HEAD
>

> The changelog mention might be useful for us, as the PostgreSQL
> changelog looks a bunch more useful than ours.
>
>   The PostgreSQL ChangeLog:
>   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/release-9-0.html

I don't believe that this corresponds to the output of the script
you show above. This page is a hand-written change summary.
That script above gives formatted commit logs. There's no enough
structured info in commit messages to be able to generate a page
like the one above.

>   Our ChangeLog:
>   http://libvirt.org/news.html
>

> Mentioning this in case anyone has the time/inclination to look into
> it.  Any takers? :)

I don't disagree that our news file is somewhat unreadable. We can't
automate this though - it needs manual work to create it.

|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org        -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|