[libvirt] XML support for arbitrary command line arguments

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Sep 13 18:17:44 UTC 2010

On 09/13/2010 11:56 AM, Harsh Bora wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there a way by which I can pass arbitrary command line args to a
> hypervisor (Qemu), and let the hypervisor decide what to do with it?
>
> I mean, is there a generic XML tag define which can be used to specify
> 'n' number of command line args which are blindly passed to hypervisor
> to process?

Yes, as of libvirt 0.8.3.  It isn't yet well documented, but the list
has had several mails on the topic, such as:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2010-August/msg00589.html

Meanwhile, what particular command line feature are you missing?
Ultimately, we would rather add direct libvirt XML support for all qemu
features, since that is more stable than using <qemu:commandline> at
your own risk, but without knowing what features people are trying to
add via <qemu:commandline>, we cannot prioritize which ones to support
directly in libvirt.