[libvirt] RFC: add <currentVcpu> element

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Mon Sep 27 20:26:57 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:33:42AM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 09/27/2010 10:21 AM, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >>At the XML layer, I'm proposing the addition of a new element<currentVcpu>:
> >>
> >><domain ...>
> >>   <vcpu>2</vcpu>
> >>   <currentVcpu>1</vcpu>
> >
> >   Hum, we already have an attribute cpuset for<vcpu>  which is used
> >to specify the semantic, I would rather keep an attribute here
> >
> >   <vcpu current="2">4</vcpu>
> >
> >instead
>
> Possible, but consider that we have:
>
> <domain ...>
>   <memory>256</memory>
>   <currentMemory>128</memory>
> </domain>
>
> So I was modeling after <memory>/<currentMemory> for consistency.
> Preferences on whether the parallel element or the attribute
> approach is better?

Well, the attribute cpuset possible on vcpu which indicate on which
physical CPU the virtual CPUs may be mapped would make as much sense if
not more on currentVcpu instead. Also both attributes are indications
used for domain startup. So I think it's a bit more coherent in the
end to have current on the vcpu as an attribute. It's not a big deal
though, but I assume the change for the patch is trivial, just a change
of XPath expression.