[libvirt] speeding up qemu core dumps

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Aug 3 14:53:35 UTC 2011

On 08/03/2011 08:37 AM, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-02/msg01156.html
>
> I thought there were more discussions on the topic but can only find the
> above thread ATM.
>
> Do folks here have objections to increasing the migration speed prior to
> core dump?  If not, any suggestions for a value?  I set the migration
> speed to 1G in doCoreDump() prior to calling qemuMigrationToFile() with
> following improvement dumping a 4G guest

Why any limit at all?  When dumping to file rather than network, I can't
think of any justification for a default limit when targetting a local
drive (a particular installation may have a reasonable limit, especially
if the file involved happens to use a network - think NFS).  It seems
like it would make sense to override the qemu defaults and go with
unlimited speed for faster dump and save operations.