Re: [libvirt] RFC: managing "pci passthrough" usage of sriov VFs via a new network forward type

Having transient <hostdev>s does not really work nicely, because we want
all PCI devices in the guest to be persistently in the XML, so we can
ensure the guest PCI address does not get changed each time the guest
is run.

Ah, well that clinches it - definitely an absolute requirement :-(

  It also doesn't really solve the problem of finding all attached
host devices for a guest, since you still have to look at two different
places when the guest is shutoff. IMHO the<hostdev>  needs to be persistent

Yep, you've convinced me (at least that the guest-side PCI info needs to be persistent, and the proper place for that is in a <hostdev>). I'm still not comfortable with having all that other extra info in the <hostdev> though. Let me take a few days to think about it and maybe come up with a logical method of having the hostdev reference back to the higher level info rather than containing it directly. If I can't think of something that doesn't look like a kludge, then we'll just have to do it by including mac address, port profile, etc as subelements of <hostdev>.