[libvirt] In freeze for libvirt-0.9.8 and availability of rc2

Michal Novotny minovotn at redhat.com
Wed Dec 7 12:25:10 UTC 2011

> On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 04:10:34PM +0800, Daniel Veillard wrote:

>>> The problem was caused by two threads that both were thinking they
>>> are having the buck and entering poll() which caused some clients to
>>> hang. It was possible due to a race condition and therefore was not
>>> 100% reproducible. It should be fixed now with:
>>> http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-December/msg00116.html
>>   Indeed, the current git head works fine again for me, thanks a lot
>> for chasing this :-)
>>
>>   So I made an second release candidate available at:
>>
>> ftp://libvirt.org/libvirt/libvirt-0.9.8-rc2.tar.gz
>>
>> along with rpms, I also tagged git with it.
>>   Hopefully the builds on BSD and Windows should be fixed, it would
>> be good if it could be tested on OsX and since there was a build done
>> last month on Android, I wonder if this could be done again [1].
> Thre is something very broken in the RPC code when an event loop
> is activated, which is resulting in frequent crashes. Fixing this
> is a release blocker IMHO.
>
> Attaching a demo program which crashes 50% of the time or more with
> GIT head.
>
> Daniel

Daniel, I've been trying it myself using the syntax like:

 gcc -Wall -o libvirt-test `pkg-config --libs --cflags libvirt`
-lpthread libvirt-test.c

to run it both as root and non-root and also with a guest running and
not-running and it never failed for me on my Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
T9600  @ 2.80GHz i686 system with 4 GB of RAM (just 2.9 GB really
available because of 32-bit system).

I was thinking of adding this into the tests directory and putting it
directly to the tests run by `make check`. What do you think about this?

Michal

--
Michal Novotny <minovotn at redhat.com>, RHCE, Red Hat
Virtualization | libvirt-php bindings | php-virt-control.org