[libvirt] virsh console giving Error

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Mon Dec 12 07:01:42 UTC 2011

On 12/12/2011 12:16 PM, Amit Tewari wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Following is my test environment
>
> Host os= rhel6.1
>
> Guest os=rhel6.1
>
> Hypervisor - kvm
>

> I have a created a guest machine using virt-install command. And it has created guest
> successfully.
>
> But now when I issue following command
>
> #virsh console guest
>

> Following error is displayed –
>

> “Error: internal error character device (null) is not using a PTY”
>

> Please let me no how can I avoid this error.

You have not specified what distribution, version of libvirt are you using.

First, can you ensure if you have serial console set up in your guest by checking if you
have the below directives in your guest kernel's command line options (in /etc/grub.conf)

----
console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200
----

If not, you can add it by running the below (ensure the guest is shut-off):

# virt-edit guest /etc/grub.conf

'virt-edit' tool comes with libguestfs-tools-c package.

--
/kashyap