[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] Transitioning from HMP to QMP for QEMU

Luiz Capitulino lcapitulino at redhat.com
Thu Dec 15 15:01:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:57:51 +0100
Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka at siemens.com> wrote:

> On 2011-12-15 14:53, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:

> >> Isn't HMP implemented in terms of QMP these days?

Yes, if you look at hmp.c you'll see that HMP is using QMP as a client. Of
course that there are a lot of commands to be converted, but it's just a
matter of time to get this done.

> > Yes and no, I don't mean writing text manipulation code on to of QMP
> > command handlers the way we're doing now.  It's a pain.
> >
> > I meant more along the lines of making qmp-shell more human-friendly.
> > You already can specify the command in a command-line fashion - you
> > don't need to write raw JSON.  I think it's a question of improving
> > this and perhaps integrating the documentation for the QMP/QAPI
> > commands right at the prompt so that it's easy to learn about the
> > available commands.  This would be a new interactive shell that stays
> > much closer to QMP so that we don't bother with maintaining
> > per-command text formatting functions like we do with HMP today.
>
> Monitor pass-through via gdbstub requires text formatting on QEMU side.
> We could start providing a python plugin for gdb at some point that does
> the pretty printing on the client side, but moving over will be a
> lengthy process as well.

Yes, I expect some HMP commands to be difficult to port and that will
require time. But if anyone is interested, we could start making qmp-shell
a decent shell as Stefan suggests above. In the beginning it won't have
all commands HMP has today, but in the future it could replace it.