[libvirt] [virt-tools-list] [RFC] virt-disk : a command line tool for modify domain XML's disk of inactive domains.

KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki kamezawa.hiroyu at jp.fujitsu.com
Tue Feb 22 00:04:42 UTC 2011

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 08:17:30 -0700
Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 02/21/2011 01:23 AM, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:
> > Hi, now, with qemu, virsh attach-disk doesn't work with inactive disks and
> > we need to edit XML with virsh edit.
> > IIUC, libvirt and virsh is designed as it is.
>
> Actually, libvirt should be patched to learn how to modify xml of
> inactive disks for qemu (it already can do it for xen, so the API is
> already present, it's just that no one has wired up that API for qemu).

Before starging this, I thought of that. I did this in python by 3 reasons.

1. When we asked "Is it a spec that we cannot modify inactive domain ?" to
   a Redhat guy, he answered "it's a spec".
   Do you, maintainers, have some concensus about this ?

2. virsh attach-disk doesn't seem to support misc. options. It doesn't have
   - boot_order
   - shareable
   - serial
   - io
   - error_policy
   etc...

   So, I thought independent python script will be easier and will help
   keeping virsh/libvirt clean.

3. I wanted an automatic XML genarator for virsh attach-device.

So, I thought I should start from a python script. It can be used for
a XML generator for virsh attach-device even if libvirt finally support
XML modification.

Regards,
-Kame