[libvirt] Using dlls for Windows provided in http://libvirt.org/sources/win32_experimental/Libvirt-0.8.7-2.exe

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Feb 24 15:47:25 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 04:15:41PM +0100, Schnizer, Monika wrote:
> Hello libvirt-users,
>
>         could anybody tell me, whether we could use dlls provided in the experimental package for windows,
> and distribute it with our application.
>
> We would do the following:
>         a) Install the executable from  http://libvirt.org/sources/win32_experimental/Libvirt-0.8.7-2.exe
>                 on our production machine.
>             b) Add the dlls to the setup of our application
>         c) Install the dlls on the customer's system in some location named /<product root>/lib.
>

> Questions:
>         - do we violate the LGPL by doing so?
>         - does anybody have better suggestions on how to provide the functionality to the customer?
>         - who could tell me how to contact the copyright owners, in order to directly discuss this issue
>           with them.

All we can really say is that you should carefully read the LGPL and make
sure you are in compliance with the conditions it defines. In particular
wrt providing customers the source code which exactly matches that used to
build the binaries they receive.

If you need detailed legal advice on whether your application / distribution
method will be in compliance with the libvirt LGPL licensing, I'd strongly
suggest that you seek assistance from your company's own software compliance
legal team.