[libvirt] Release of libvirt-0.8.7

Jim Fehlig jfehlig at novell.com
Fri Jan 7 00:00:59 UTC 2011

Laine Stump wrote:
> On 01/06/2011 02:03 PM, Zdenek Styblik wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On 01/05/2011 04:43 PM, Laine Stump wrote:
>>
>>> On 01/05/2011 06:12 AM, Zdenek Styblik wrote:
>>>
>>> Zdenek - I'd be very happy to have a Slackware port of netcf, and would
>>> be willing to help out getting it in (as long as you'd be willing to
>>> help me setup a Slackware guest so I could test your patches ;-) There
>>> have been 4 other people who started netcf ports (debian, arch linux,
>>> suse, and (believe it or not, MS Windows)), but so far none has followed
>>> through to actually pushing something into the main netcf git.
>>>

>> just wait a second; did you actually say "patches"? :) What is the
>> original platform/distro of NetCF?
>>

> It was originally developed for Fedora and RHEL (RHEL5.x up to a
> point, but now only RHEL6 support is up-to-date due to libnl version
> incompatibilities on 5.x).
>
> Because the network config files differ for different distros, there
> are a couple of files that need to be different for each (or in some
> cases where two distros are very close, maybe they can share the same
> source files, with a few #ifdefs). The files defining the API, and
> implementing the toplevel functions of the API should be common to all
> platforms, and there is also a file of utility functions that should
> be useful on all Linux platforms (but not on Windows).
>
> As far as I know, the SuSE port was actually complete at one time, and
> was included in a released product (not sure what the product is),

It hasn't been included in a product yet, but might be in upcoming
openSUSE 11.4.

> but I don't know where the source is (aside from earlier versions
> posted to the list and available in the archives),

It currently resides in network:utilities project in openSUSE Build Service

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=netcf&project=network%3Autilities

> and the developers haven't had the resources available to clean it up
> and submit it back to the upstream project.

My only involvement was enabling netcf support in libvirt, so I can't
say much about the work or any progress to upstream it.  I've cc'd
Patrick - he was involved and perhaps could provide an update.

Regards,
Jim