Re: [libvirt] esx driver: XML format for guest OS type/variant

[adding Richard Jones, as he is more familiar with OS inspection]

On 01/12/2011 03:29 PM, Matthias Bolte wrote:

> One thing I wonder about is, where to get the list of possible values
> for the guest OS type and variation from? Do we use what
> virt-install/virt-manager currently use and map that onto the fixed
> guest OS types (and variations) that VMware and VirtualBox understand
> in the ESX/VMware and VirtualBox driver? Or do we expose the list of
> possible values in driver capabilities? Or ...

I imagine it should either be via some sort of .xml file (similar to
libvirt's cpu_map.xml used for determining valid cpu models), or via
linking in a common shared library that can share the work among
multiple clients.  IIRC, there is work under way to provide a library to
standardize on detection and description of various operating systems
installed in a guest, but I cannot seem to quickly find a reference to
such a library at the moment.