[libvirt] VMWare "independent disk" processing needed

computernews at rambler.ru computernews at rambler.ru
Mon Jul 4 11:41:27 UTC 2011

Hello,

On VMware ESX server it is possible for the virtual machine to add the
"independent disk" - the kind of virtual disk that (among other
features) is not being covered by the snapshot logic.

As I am working on some kind of backup solution I need to be able to
backup the precise state of the guest virtual machine running on say
VMware ESX server.

I am able to perform a backup of a guest machine description with
libvirts's amazing API which covers most of my needs except the
aforementioned "independent disk" virtual disk type. The problem shows
up at the restore type when I need to create the new virtual machine
having an .xml file created by "virsh dumpxml" command. In fact I use
API but "virsh does the same". This .xml file covers most of guest
machine's aspects but it doesn't reflect the "independent" nature of
such disks. So the virtual machine is going to be restored incorrectly
when includes "independent disks".

 From the source codes of "libvirt"  ("/libvirt/src/vmx/vmx.*") I see
that this is ment to be covered but yet is not implemented. Appropriate
nodes must be stored in .xml file during the backup and returned back to
.vmx file during the restore.

So here are my questions: Is someone on it at the moment ? If yes - can
I help somehow ? If no - whom shell I approach in order to be
mentored/directed if I decide to participate, implement this and
contribute the patch back to the source code ?

Thanks for an answer in advance.

Best regards
Oleh Paliy