[libvirt] RFC New virDomainBlockPull API family to libvirt

Stefan Hajnoczi stefanha at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 14:35:09 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Adam Litke <agl at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> On 07/15/2011 05:39 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:

> <snip>

>>> Hopefully Stefan can comment on any throttling mechanisms that might be
>>> added to the qemu implementation.  It would be nice to have this feature
>>> built into the API to match the migration APIs, but if that is not
>>> feasible then we could always add it later.
>>
>> If we follow the live migration API then a block_stream_set_speed
>> command would be used.  libvirt would issue it as a separate command
>> immediately after starting the streaming operation.  There is the
>> window of time after streaming has started but before
>> block_stream_set_speed has been called where no throttling takes
>> place, but I don't think this is a practical problem.
>>
>> It also opens the possibility of allowing the user to change the rate
>> limit value while the block streaming operation is active.
>
> In light of our decision to provide a generic BlockJobAbort/BlockJobInfo
> interface, should SetSpeed be generic too?
>
> virDomainBlockJobSetSpeed() or virDomainBlockPullSetSpeed() ?

The block_stream_set_speed semantics allow the command to be used when
no streaming operation is active.  This can be used to set the speed
without a window of time after creation and before set_speed is
called.

If we switch to block_job_set_speed then it is cleaner to restrict the
command to work on active jobs only.  This is because there is only
one "speed" variable kept but there might be multiple job types
(streaming, compaction, etc) which would need different settings.

What do you think about this?

block_job_set_speed
-------------------

Set maximum speed for a background block operation.

This is a per-block device command that can only be issued
when there is an active block job.

Throttling can be disabled by setting the speed to 0.

Arguments:

- device: device name (json-string)
- value:  maximum speed, in bytes per second (json-int)

Errors:
NotSupported: job type does not support speed setting

Example:

-> { "execute": "block_job_set_speed",
     "arguments": { "device": "virtio0", "value": 1024 } }

Stefan