Re: [libvirt] Driver development

On 06/08/2011 07:10 AM, Carlos N. A. Corrêa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in developing a new network driver for libvirt (one for the
> definition and management of OpenVSwitch datapaths).
>
> I've read some of the code already, and by now my general directions are:
>
> - Change the function virNetworkDefParseXML in src/conf/network_conf.c to
> define and parse new configuration directives needed by my driver
> - Use src/network/bridge_driver.c as a template for my new driver, replacing
> code from the services provided by the driver (listed on "virNetworkDriver"
> type) with my own code, for my own net type.
>
> Have you any other directions in this matter? Any tips? If it works, would
> be this code of any use to you?

For a starting point I'd recommend proposing your XML changes to the
list, and describe exactly what the new functionality will enable, and a
few use cases. Probably best to do this before starting any code so you
don't head in a wrong direction.

Check the past few month ML archives to see how some other developers
have proposed RFCs or XML changes.

- Cole