Re: [libvirt] Request to rename 'destroy' to something milder.

On 14.06.2011 12:31, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> (please cc me in response as I have not subscribed to this list)
>
> Hi all,
>
> A minor nitpick:
>
> Every-time I suggest someone to do a force shut-down a guest using
> 'virsh destroy foo' , the very first question I get is -- does it
> _destroy_ my data?
>
> This causes confusion to the inexperienced user and makes him/her
> suspect that the data/disk could be destroyed while running 'virsh
> destroy foo'
>
> Maybe replacing it to a milder name like 'poweroff' or something might
> help?
Libvirt has this philosophy to be backward compatible and therefore not
to change old API including virsh commands. But as time flies, some APIs
are consumed by new ones (virDomainCreateLinux is now just alias for
virDomainCreateXML). So changing this is not feasible way. What might
be, is to create less invasive aliases. But we can't make 'destroy'
command to go away.