[libvirt] Network device abstraction aka virtual switch - V3

Gerhard Stenzel gstenzel at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Jun 16 14:24:26 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 20:29 -0400, Laine Stump wrote:

> II. Changes to <network> definition
> ===================================

> He also suggested adding a new "layer='network|link'" attribute to
> <forward>. I'm not convinced that item is necessary (it seems
> redundant), but am including it here for sake of discussion.
>
> The current modes are:
>
> <forward layer='network' mode='route|nat'/>
>
> (in addition to not listing any mode, which equates to "isolated")
>
> Here are suggested new modes:
>
> <forward layer='link'
>           mode='bridge-brctl|vepa|private|passthrough|bridge-macvtap'/>

On the "layer='network|link'" question, would "layer='IP|MAC'" not be
clearer?

Regarding the mode attribute:
"mode='bridge|vepa|private|passthrough'" seems sufficient to me,
bridge-brctl or bridge-macvtap can be concluded from the "dev"
attribute, right?

Best regards,

Gerhard Stenzel,
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen