[libvirt] Question about PHP licencing for libvirt-php (php-libvirt for Fedora)

Michal Novotny minovotn at redhat.com
Thu Mar 10 09:31:07 UTC 2011

On 03/10/2011 07:12 AM, Lyre wrote:
> 于 2011年03月10日 01:17, Daniel P. Berrange 写道:
>> On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 06:05:22PM +0100, Michal Novotny wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I don't know who's the right person to ask so I'm posting this into
>>> the libvir-list. We're going to have the libvirt-php package in
>>> Fedora (but renamed to php-libvirt only) but I don't know about the
>>> licencing. The licence in the SPEC file (by Lyre) is set to "PHP"
>>> however the licence file describes the GPL licence.
>>>
>>> My question is whether somebody does know whether it's OK to write a
>>> PHP extension under GPL licence or whether we need the PHP licence
>>> for this.
>> The PHP license is *not* GPL compatible
>>
>>    https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/PHP_License
>>    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses
>>
>> So, the libvirt-php module would have to be under either the PHP
>> license,
>> or something less restrictive.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Daniel
> The spec was copied from Radek's original php-libvirt with the License
> untouched, I'm not sure about it.

Ok Lyre, then I guess Radek wanted to stick with the PHP licence.
However by naming it php-libvirt he was violating the licence because of
following paragraph:

4. Products derived from this software may not be called "PHP", nor
may "PHP" appear in their name, without prior written permission
from group at php.net. You may indicate that your software works in
conjunction with PHP by saying "Foo for PHP" instead of calling
it "PHP Foo" or "phpfoo"

I wrote to group at php.net already asking them for that permission and we
shall see what they reply to me.

Michal

--
Michal Novotny<minovotn at redhat.com>, RHCE
Virtualization Team (xen userspace), Red Hat