[libvirt] Question about virConnectDomainXMLToNative

Hi,
I've been investigating the virConnectDomainXMLToNative() format option and I found out the virConnectDomainXMLToNative() calls the conn->driver->domainXMLToNative() function and passes the format to the driver function where the check whether format is valid or not is being performed. Unfortunately I was unable to get the list of supported format strings (like "qemu-argv"/"xen-xm"/"xen-sexpr" etc.) so I'd like to ask whether there is some API to get all the formats supported by the driver or not.

If not, wouldn't it be worth it to add some API like virConnectGetDomainNativeFormats() or something to return the format option for the connection?

I guess many people would be having issues with that and although it's documented in the virsh man pages what if somebody will be using some other application than virsh or you add some formatting option however you forget to add it to the man page?

I think it's worth it to consider adding conn->driver->domainNativeFormats() to the driver and placing it nearby the conn->driver->domainXMLToNative() function in the driver (like right above qemuDomainXMLToNative() etc.).

Or is there some API way to get the domain format strings that I'm not aware of, i.e. that I didn't find by my investigation?

Thanks,
Michal

--
Michal Novotny<minovotn redhat com>, RHCE
Virtualization Team (xen userspace), Red Hat