[libvirt] cgroup memoryinfo handling

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Mar 24 18:21:40 UTC 2011

On 03/24/2011 12:04 PM, Zvi Dubitzky wrote:
> Hi
>
> 1) Daniel Smith of IBM wrote (2008)  code for implementing 'virsh
> schedinfo'  in src/util/cgroup.c
>     He also added some code for cgroup memory  subsystem (util/cgroup.c/
> virCgroupSetMemoryHardLimit () etc.),
>     I see also src/qemu_driver.c/qemuDomainSetMemoryParameters()
>     But that seems not being  invoked . I am looking at libvirt-0.8.8
>
> 2) Is anybody handling/completing  this piece of code and are you  libvirt
> guys interested in us completing it
>      because we might find usage for that kind of 'virsh meminfo' command
> using cgroups .

Your wish has already been mostly granted.  0.8.5 introduced the 'virsh
memtune' command to both query and set memory parameters (so it wraps
both qemuDomainGetMemoryParameters and qemuDomainSetMemoryParameters),
and the upcoming 0.9.0 offers a few improvements to that interface as
well as a counterpart 'virsh blkiotune' for the blkio cgroup.

The 'virsh meminfo' command cannot easily change its output for
backwards compatibility reasons, which is why we added the new
functionality in 'virsh memtune' instead.

You are also welcome to submit more patches or ideas for patches.