Re: [libvirt] Crash state and QEMU

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 01:26:39PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
As far as I can tell, if QEMU exits abruptly or with a non-zero
status code, libvirt treats this as a domain destruction given no
real indication to the user that something bad happened.

libvirtd raises an event.

But that event is no different than the event fired for a normal guest shutdown, no?

There is (was?) a "reason" argument
(eg. "reason" == "watchdog fired").  I've a vague recollection this
was discussed but never added.  I can't find it in the code right now,
but I might be looking for the wrong thing ...

But libvirt does have a crashed state for domains, it's just not
used for QEMU guests.

I'll just make a historical note that the crashed state corresponded
to a state in Xen.  Essentially the states in libvirt are directly
mapped to the ones listed in the Xen xm man page here:

http://linux.die.net/man/1/xm

I'm well aware of that :-)

That's why I asked whether not using the crash state was intentional (if it's deprecated as a general API).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

I was wondering how intention of a design decision this was.  Right
now there's no good way for a management tool to detect a crashed
guest/QEMU.  Is there something I'm overlooking?

Rich.