[libvirt] libvirt.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Wed May 25 08:55:37 UTC 2011

2011/5/24 YAO <yffbrave at gmail.com>:
> 2011/5/24 Matthias Bolte <matthias.bolte at googlemail.com>
>> 2011/5/24 YAO <yffbrave at gmail.com>:
>> > Hi,
>> > I cloned the latest libvirt from git and compiled as follows:
>> > cd libvirt
>> > ./autogen.sh
>> > make
>> > sudo make install
>> > when installing, it reported "/usr/bin/install: cannot stat
>> > `./xxx.html': No
>> > such file or directory", is that normal?
>>
>> You are probably missing some of the required tools for docs generator
>> like xstlproc or xmllint or the xhtml1 dtd files.
>>
> Thank you for your suggestions, I installed xsltproc and w3c-dtd-xhtml
> package on ubuntu 10.04 which fixed this problem.
>>
>> > after install completed, I typed virsh, it showed:
>> > "virsh: error while loading shared libraries: libvirt.so.0: cannot open
>> > shared object file: No such file or directory", how to fix it?
>> > I found libvirt.so.0 in /usr/local/lib, but why virsh can't find it?
>> > the same problem happens on /usr/local/sbin/libvirtd, it can't find
>> > libvirt-qemu.so.0 which is also located in /usr/local/lib.
>> > So, what's the general procedure to make git version work?
>>
>> Is this the first thing that got installed under /usr/local? You might
>> need to update the ld cache by running ldconfig.
>>
> It seems the system didn't search the /usr/local/lib, so I appended
> --prefix=/usr  on ./autogen.sh to relocate the installation.
> Here's another question:
> I know the sVirt was merged into libvirt, did all the codes reside in
> src/security?

I think so.

> How should I start to contribute?

You already have a working git clone, that was the first step. The
next step probably depends on what you want to do. Do you want to
improve the security drivers or do you want to support an additional
framework aside from SELinux and AppArmor, or do you want to
restructure the security drivers, etc?

If you want to do major or braking changes you should start by
describing and discussing on this list what you want to do and get
feedback on it. If you want to fix bugs or improve the security
drivers you should probably just get familiar with the code and start
to program. To get changes included into the official codebase send
patches to this list to get a review. The preferred tool for sending
patches is git send-email.

You should also have a look at http://libvirt.org/hacking.html

Matthias