[libvirt] Associate a LUN as disk with WWNN/WWPN

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Nov 25 10:49:29 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 06:42:42PM +0800, Osier Yang wrote:
> On 2011年11月25日 18:28, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 04:55:02PM +0800, Osier Yang wrote:
> >

> >><quote>
> >>AFAIU libvirt needs a way to:
> >>
> >>- Associate a virtual adapter WWN with a VM (in the VM xml)
> >>- Learn to start a virtual adapter when the VM is started, and destroy the
> >>   adapter when the VM is stopped.
> >>- Possibly a way to associate a WWN with a scsi pool, to start / stop a
> >>   virtual adapter with the pool.
> >></quote>
> >>
> >>But afer thinking more, I'd think it might be not good idea:
> >>
> >>As far as I could understand, the requirement of the BZ wants
> >>a way to create/migrate a guest with NPIV. I'm goint to talk
> >>create first,and migration then.
> >
> >The desire to assocaite WWNN/WWPN with a VM is just one part of a more
> >general need to expand libvirt's SCSI support. Paulo started a design
> >thread on the subject a month or so back which sort of converged into
> >agreement:
> >
> >https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-October/msg01253.html
> >

> Yes, I read this thread before, but it looks to me Paolo was talking
> about LUN, scsi host, and vHBA passthrough. It's a bit different
> with what I'm trying to resolve (There is no passthrough here, but
> about how to design a good workflow between virt-manager / Boxes
> and libvirt for using (creating and migration ) a FC LUN as a normal
> disk). The useful thing in the discussion of the thread may be
> define the (v)HBA as a controller though.
>
> Or I misunderstood something?

I've found that when people generally talk about associating iSCSI LUNs
with a guest, they have always been expecting SCSI LUN passthrough, or
passthrough of the entire iSCSI vHBA.

If we're considering a non-passthrough use case, then IMHO the problem
should be generalized to

  How do we associated a storage volume with a VM ?

ie not something that is specific to (i)SCSI.