Re: [libvirt] [fedora-virt] Guest can no longer be bootet with libvirt 0.9.6 from virt-preview repo

[adding libvirt list]

On 09/28/2011 09:24 AM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
I just noticed that once I upgrade to libvirt-0.9.6-1 from the
virt-preview
repo on my Fedora 15 machine I can no longer boot guests that use virtio
disks. I only get "Boot failed: could not read the boot disk".
Removing the disk and re-adding it as IDE drive allows KVM to boot from
the
disk (although the full boot obviously fails due to the hda/vda naming
difference but that's expected).

After downgrading to libvirt-0.8.8-7 again the problem goes away and the
guest boot fine from virtio disks.

Somewhere around 0.9.4 libvirt switched to use a different method to
indicate from which device to boot.
See http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=commit;h=c3068d4d2381146ed46051ad636a928edea5c602

I think this causes Seabios to skip using extboot.bin for booting and
to try to directly boot from a disk.
If your Seabios version is too old, it won't support booting from
virtio disks directly.

The libvirt package should probably be updated to require seabios-bin>= 0.6.2.

Yes, that probably needs to happen to libvirt.spec when built for F16 (and thus imported into F15 via virt-preview). I'll tackle that, since I've been making a couple other spec file patches lately.