[libvirt] is it possible to set txqueuelen on vnetX devices automatically

Tim Hughes thughes at thegoldfish.org
Mon Apr 2 16:15:55 UTC 2012

Hello,

We have been tuning our libvirt hosts and discovered that setting the
txqueuelen on vnetX devices to 2500 we can increase the network throughput
by a factor of almost 10. On an eth device it can be set by  hand/rc.local
with the following instructions
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/gentoo-centos-rhel-debian-fedora-increasing-txqueuelen/
.  Because vnetX devices are named on a 'first free' basis and they come
and go with the guests the rc.local method is not going to work. I think
this needs to be done via libvirt or possibly udev, maybe with some kind of
hook. Ideally I would like to be able to set this automatically for all
vnetX devices when they are created or even better, on a per guest basis.

Tim Hughes
mailto:thughes at thegoldfish.org