[libvirt] ANNOUNCE: Stable release libvirt-0.9.11.2

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Apr 30 08:10:24 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 08:35:19PM -0700, Jason Helfman wrote:
> > Okay, I screwed up the tarball for the first stable release, due to not
> > building it from a fresh checkout :/ No changes for this one except a
> > version
> > bump and dist rebuild.
> >
> > This release can be downloaded at:
> >
> > http://libvirt.org/sources/libvirt-0.9.11.2.tar.gz
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Cole
> >

> Is there any particular reason that the project is using the same naming
> convention for stable releases? It appears to be a minor revision update
> from the standard release cycle. From an outsiders prospective, I don't
> know how anyone would think that 0.9.11.2 is not a standard update from
> 0.9.11, as there is no distinction in either the name from the distributed
> file, or documentation (unless I missed it denoted specifically on
> libvirt.org).
>
> Would there be any objection to using a distribution file name
> libvirt-stable-0.9.11.2.tar.gz ?
>
> To me, it is confusing, but that is just my opinion.

Actually to be honest I think we should actually call these 'long term
support' or 'maintenance' releases, since we generally consider *all*
our releases to be stable releases. The distinction is really that the
traditional releases may introduce new features, where as these new
micro releases are strictly bug fix only.