[libvirt] Proposal to add iSCSI support to esx storage driver

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 5 21:04:07 UTC 2012

2012/8/2 Ata Bohra <ata.husain at hotmail.com>:
> Hi All,
>
> I just want to go over the design that I am working on to incorporate iSCSI
> support to libvirt ESX storage driver. The highlights are:
>
> Current Implementation
> At present esx_storage_driver supports only VMFS type datastore and does not
> provide much leeway to enhance or add other supported storage pools such as
> iSCSI.
>
> Proposal
> My proposal is:
> 1. Split the current code such as esx_storage_driver becomes more like a
> facade; this driver will use "backend" drivers to perform the request task
> (such as: esx_storage_backend_iscsi and esx_storage_backend_vmfs)
> 2. Based on the pool type (lookup can determine storage pool type), the base
> driver then invoke the appropriate backend driver routine to get the job
> done.
> 3. Backend driver shall implement same routines exposed by
> esx_storage_driver if needed, but the implementation will be pertinent to
> its specific type.

I took a quick look at the vSphere API regarding iSCSI but I'm not
sure how it's supposed to work. Do you have a better understanding
about this. I'd like to discuss the conceptual part first. How does
storage pool and volume listing/creation/destruction work with iSCSI?
Does it differ from the current code at all? If it differs is it that
different that we really need this radical split?

--
Matthias Bolte
http://photron.blogspot.com