Re: [libvirt] PF interface brought down if guest using a VF in hostdev mode under 802.1Qbh

On 08/08/2012 01:21 PM, Nishank Trivedi (nistrive) wrote:
> On 8/7/12 8:15 PM, "Laine Stump" <laine laine org> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I believe you are correct that virNetDevSetOnline is being called
>> with the wrong device name (I could be wrong though - is there maybe
>> some odd rule that the PF must be UP before the VFs will be up?
> PF should be UP prior to VF only if there is some proxy'ing or some
> control data being sent by PF on behalf of VF. Same could be true for
> bringing VF down.
>
>> In case
>> case, we certainly shouldn't be setting the PF to IFF_DOWN). But in the
>> case of PCI passthrough, does it even need to be called at all?
> Not for PF for sure. While VF is getting disassociated with port profile,
> VF interface still needs to be brought down. So virNetDevSetOnline should
> be passed VF interface, if vf >= 0.
>
>> Cc'ing Roopa in case she missed this in all the other traffic.
> Invalid email id, cc'ing Christian instead.

Yes, I didn't realize until I got the bounce from that mail that Roopa
had moved. (also didn't pay attention to the fact that you are at Cisco,
so would have contacted her anyway :-)

It sounds like you guys have a good understanding of the details, and
the proper setup to test it with 802.1Qbh, so please write up a patch
and send it in. I'll review it and test it here too (although I can only
test netdev PCI passthrough *without* 802.1Qbh).

Thanks for finding the root of the problem!