[libvirt] Release of libvirt-1.0.1

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Dec 21 09:52:16 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 11:57:37AM -0700, Eric Blake wrote:
> [trimming libvirt-announce from cc]
>
> On 12/19/2012 04:03 PM, Jason Helfman wrote:
> > I will be committing this to the FreeBSD portstree this week. One item that
> > has held this up for me was repeated build failures.
> >
> > In looking through the code, I found out that perl was introduced as a
> > build dependency, but I didn't see this noted anywhere in the notes or the
> > spec files.
>
> Perl has been a bootstrap requirement when building from git for some
> time now, although we have tried to keep away from making it a build
> requirement.  Therefore, this looks like a regression, for not
> gracefully building the package from a tarball without perl present.
> What was the exact failure you hit, so we can correct that?  Basically,
> any file that requires perl should be pre-built as part of 'make dist',
> so that building a tarball will not need perl.  Likewise, any place
> where 'make check' runs a perl-based test, those tests should gracefully
> be skipped if perl is not present.

We've required perl for 'make check' since 0.9.13  (check-symfile.pl,
and now also check-symsorting.pl). We've also required perl for 'make'
if dtrace is enabled (dtrace2systemtap.pl).

IMHO, requiring perl is absolutely fine. It is probably the most ported /
portable piece of software out there - even more so than gcc / python,
not to mention all the other libraries we already depend on.