Re: [libvirt] Can I run a shell script in Guest OS via libvirt

On 07/26/2012 10:16 PM, Doan Van Tuyen wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I amd trying to use libvirt-php to build a public cloud. I used Vmware
> hypervisor (free), XEN and KVM. Now I want to create a Virtual Machine from
> template. After that, I want to install some application on that VM.
>
> *Can I run a shell script in Guest OS via Libvirt?*

Not directly.  It may be possible to enhance the qemu guest-agent in
order to request via the guest agent that the guest run a script; and
there has been a proposal (although no code yet) for adding support for
running arbitrary guest-agent commands from libvirt in the case where
libvirt has not yet incorporated a particular agent command into
existing commands.

You may also be interested in checking out libguestfs, which provides a
lot of utilities, including the ability to modify the disk image of an
offline guest in order to install applications.