[libvirt] Per-guest configurable user/group for QEMU processes

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Tue Jun 5 14:38:49 UTC 2012

On 21.05.2012 15:39, Marcelo Cerri wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This set of patches updates the libvirt's security driver mechanism to support per-guest configurable user and group for QEMU processes running together with other security drivers, such as SELinux and AppArmor.
>
> This patches implement the changes discussed in the following thread:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2012-February/msg00990.html
>
> Regards,
> Marcelo Cerri

The feature looks reasonable but I think the implementation needs a
cleanup. I've pointed out some things. Overall, there are some rules
which are good to follow when adding new API:

  http://libvirt.org/api_extension.html

It's always good to prepare environment for new API - like you do in the
first patch. However, the order of other patches should be slightly
different. More important, we would like to compile after each patch.
IOW, I'd like to see some patches split and some merged following the
guide I am linking above. It's okay to add an API without driver
implementation -> splitting code into {add API, remote driver impl and
let libvirt throw 'unsupported' error} and {implement new API for one
driver} {implement new API for second driver} etc. On the other hand,
API that requires XML change shouldn't be introduced before the change
itself (it's okay if they are in the same patch).

I am not an security expert so I haven't looked closely on security
drivers though. Okay, I did, but just for code cleanliness or obvious
mistakes. I think others may give their review too.

Looking forward to v2.

Michal