[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: [libvirt] Fwd: In Use tracker for network and pci-passthrough devices: Laine response



Osier, Many thanks for your input.
Comments inline.

On 06/28/2012 11:48 AM, Shradha Shah wrote:
> This is a reply from Osier Yang
> ================================================================================================================
> On 2012年06月27日 04:02, Laine Stump wrote:
>> (NB: I'm Cc'ing Osier on this email, as he's quite knowledgeable about
>> the PCI passthrough device allocation tracking code. You should probably
>> move this discussion to the mailing list sooner rather than later
>> though, as a public discussion of the design will give you a better
>> chance of your first revision getting successfully past review :-))
>>
>> On 06/26/2012 07:23 AM, Shradha Shah wrote:
>>> Laine,
>>>
>>> I have submitted my v2 patches for forward mode='hostdev' and am planning to work on the in-use tracker for network
>>> and pci-passthrough devices.
>>>
>>> I am unable to wrap my head around how I should be implementing this functionality. I am unable to decide at what
>>> level I should be implementing this (network, domain or qemu).
>>>
>>> May I ask for your guidance in order to implement this functionality?
>>>
>>
>> Yes, but I'm currently on vacation (in Turkey) so I won't have much time
>> to respond until July 9 when I return.
>>
>> In the meantime, I think the right way to do this is by integrating with
>> the code in the qemu driver that keeps track of which PCI devices are in
>> use. This already happens at the very basic level of "if the device
>> allocated by the network driver is in use, the attempt to assign the
>> device will fail"; instead, the network driver should be able to ask
>> qemu if the device it wants to allocate to the guest is already in use
>> (and reserve it, in one atomic operation).
> 
> Hi, Shradha, Laine,
> 
> I have not read your patches for "forward=hostdev" carefully, so
> not sure if I can give right direction, but let me try:
> 
> It looks like what you will do is just reserve the vf or pf from host,
> and when the vf/pf is attached to domain or used in other ways, you
> want it to be marked as in-use, am I correct?
> 
> If so, it should be not hard to do, for each PCI device, we have a
> field named "used_by", to stores the domain name which uses it, and in
> qemu driver, we have two list "activePciHostdevs", "inactivePciHostdevs"
> of pciDeviceList type.
> 
> "activePciHostdevs" holds the PCI devices which are in used by all
> the qemu domains, and "inactivePciHostdevs" holds the PCI devices
> detached from the host, and not used by any domain. Basicly the purpose
> of "inactivePciHostdevs" is to resolve the problem of pci device
> resetting on two PCI devices share the same bus. See commit 6be610bf
> for more details.
> 
> So that means,  updating the "used_by" field of the pci device,
> "activePciHostdevs", and "inactivePciHostdevs" all happens
> while attaching the interface to domain, or detaching it from the
> domain, or when domain starting, or when the domain is shutdown.
> 
> E.g, attaching the interface to domain (assuming the attachment
> succeeded), it needs to do:
> 
> 1) Set "used_by" as the domain name
> 2) Insert the device to "activePciHostdevs" list.
> 3) Remove the device from "inactivePciHostdevs" list if it was
>    there.
> 
> Porcess of detaching is just opposite with above. However, the
> whole process is much more complicated than the 3 listed steps.

This approach is easier to implement but this would mean that we
have to access the qemu driver from the network driver since we need
to make a decision about device usage in networkAllocateActualDevice.

This messes with the hierarchy I think. 

> 
> I found you introduce new members for virNetworkForwardIfDef:
> 
>  struct _virNetworkForwardIfDef {
> -    char *dev;      /* name of device */
> +    int type;
> +    union {
> +        virDevicePCIAddress pci; /*PCI Address of device */
> +        /* when USB devices are supported a new variable to be added here */
> +        char *dev;      /* name of device */
> +    }device;
> +    int usageCount; /* how many guest interfaces are bound to this device? */
> +};
> 
> So why don't use pciDevice. e.g.
> 
>  struct _virNetworkForwardIfDef {
>     char *dev;      /* name of device */
>     int type;
>     union {
>         pciDevice pci; /*PCI Address of device */
>         /* when USB devices are supported a new variable to be added here */
>         char *dev;      /* name of device */
>     } device;
>     int usageCount; /* how many guest interfaces are bound to this device? */
> };
> 
> You can add usbDevice there once it's supported. That means
> you can reuse the existed codes for pci and devices management
> of qemu driver.
> 

I was thinking of having a new driver called devicetracker_driver.c that
consumes device_conf.ch and is used in domain, network and qemu drivers.

>>
>> Of course, once the network driver has reserved the device from qemu's
>> PCI passthrough code, it would return that device to the qemu driver
>> code that wants to attach the interface, and it would fail because it
>> would be told the device is already in use (well, yeah! *We* just marked
>> it as in-use!). To make that work, I guess some sort of
>> cookie/handle/pointer would need to be passed from qemu's pci
>> passthrough code back to the network driver, and the network driver
>> would return it back to qemu's network interface attach code, which
>> would then use that special cookie/handle/pointer to attach the device
>> (saying "yeah, I know it's already in use, and here's my pass-card").
>>
>> (Talking about this makes me think that the code that keeps track of PCI
>> device allocation shouldn't really be a part of qemu, but should be a
>> separate module, so that the network driver can still function properly
>> even if the qemu driver isn't loaded.)
> 
> Agreed. That should resolve the problem of data sharing between
> network and hypervisor drivers.
> 
>>
>> Another twist to this that should be considered - if any particular
>> device is in use by at least one guest for one of the macvtap modes,
>> that device also needs to be marked as in-use in libvirt's pci device
>> table - it would be disastrous if another guest decided to use that
>> device for standard PCI Passthrough.
>>
>> (Keep in mind that I wrote everything above without even once looking at
>> the code or any other reference, so you should take it with a grain of
>> salt!)
>>
> 
> 
> Many Thanks,
> Regards,
> Shradha Shah
> 
> On 06/28/2012 11:33 AM, Shradha Shah wrote:
>> This is a reply I got from Laine Stump
>> =====================================================================================================================
>>
>> (NB: I'm Cc'ing Osier on this email, as he's quite knowledgeable about
>> the PCI passthrough device allocation tracking code. You should probably
>> move this discussion to the mailing list sooner rather than later
>> though, as a public discussion of the design will give you a better
>> chance of your first revision getting successfully past review :-))
>>
>> On 06/26/2012 07:23 AM, Shradha Shah wrote:
>>>> Laine,
>>>>
>>>> I have submitted my v2 patches for forward mode='hostdev' and am planning to work on the in-use tracker for network
>>>> and pci-passthrough devices.
>>>>
>>>> I am unable to wrap my head around how I should be implementing this functionality. I am unable to decide at what 
>>>> level I should be implementing this (network, domain or qemu).
>>>>
>>>> May I ask for your guidance in order to implement this functionality? 
>>>>
>> Yes, but I'm currently on vacation (in Turkey) so I won't have much time
>> to respond until July 9 when I return.
>>
>> In the meantime, I think the right way to do this is by integrating with
>> the code in the qemu driver that keeps track of which PCI devices are in
>> use. This already happens at the very basic level of "if the device
>> allocated by the network driver is in use, the attempt to assign the
>> device will fail"; instead, the network driver should be able to ask
>> qemu if the device it wants to allocate to the guest is already in use
>> (and reserve it, in one atomic operation).
>>
>> Of course, once the network driver has reserved the device from qemu's
>> PCI passthrough code, it would return that device to the qemu driver
>> code that wants to attach the interface, and it would fail because it
>> would be told the device is already in use (well, yeah! *We* just marked
>> it as in-use!). To make that work, I guess some sort of
>> cookie/handle/pointer would need to be passed from qemu's pci
>> passthrough code back to the network driver, and the network driver
>> would return it back to qemu's network interface attach code, which
>> would then use that special cookie/handle/pointer to attach the device
>> (saying "yeah, I know it's already in use, and here's my pass-card").
>>
>> (Talking about this makes me think that the code that keeps track of PCI
>> device allocation shouldn't really be a part of qemu, but should be a
>> separate module, so that the network driver can still function properly
>> even if the qemu driver isn't loaded.)
>>
>> Another twist to this that should be considered - if any particular
>> device is in use by at least one guest for one of the macvtap modes,
>> that device also needs to be marked as in-use in libvirt's pci device
>> table - it would be disastrous if another guest decided to use that
>> device for standard PCI Passthrough.
>>
>> (Keep in mind that I wrote everything above without even once looking at
>> the code or any other reference, so you should take it with a grain of
>> salt!)
>>
>>
>>
>> Many Thanks,
>> Regards,
>> Shradha Shah
>>
>> On 06/28/2012 11:19 AM, Shradha Shah wrote:
>>> This is a conversation that I started with Laine Stump for the implementation of the in-use tracker for network and pci devices.
>>>
>>> I want to make this conversation more public in order to receive everyone's view on the topic.
>>>
>>> I will also post the responses I got from Laine and Osier Yang.
>>>
>>> Many Thanks,
>>> Regards,
>>> Shradha Shah
>>>
>>>
>>> -------- Original Message --------
>>> Subject: In Use tracker for network and pci-passthrough devices
>>> Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 12:23:52 +0100
>>> From: Shradha Shah <sshah solarflare com>
>>> To: Laine Stump <laine laine org>
>>>
>>> Laine,
>>>
>>> I have submitted my v2 patches for forward mode='hostdev' and am planning to work on the in-use tracker for network
>>> and pci-passthrough devices.
>>>
>>> I am unable to wrap my head around how I should be implementing this functionality. I am unable to decide at what 
>>> level I should be implementing this (network, domain or qemu).
>>>
>>> May I ask for your guidance in order to implement this functionality? 
>>>
>>
>> --
>> libvir-list mailing list
>> libvir-list redhat com
>> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/libvir-list
> 
> --
> libvir-list mailing list
> libvir-list redhat com
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/libvir-list


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]